Tiger Woods falls out of top 100 world rankings for first time in almost 20 years



Tiger Woods was struggling at the Waste Management Phoenix Open in late January. (Sam Greenwood / Getty Images)

The state of Tiger Woods’ golf game and his status for the Masters, which starts April 9, remain unknown, but there was a sobering bit of information Monday about just where he stands.
For the first time since 1996, he is not among the top 100 in the Official World Golf Ranking. Yes, the Macarena was all the rage then and “Independence Day” was the top-grossing film. But, unlike Woods, “Independence Day” continues to play over and over on TV.
Woods fell from last week’s 96 to 104, dropping out of the top 100 for the first time since Sept. 28, 1996. That was the week before his first pro win in Las Vegas and, although the years since have brought stellar success, recent history has not been so kind. Woods, more often seen on the slopes with girlfriend Lindsey Vonn than on the links, has struggled with injuries, re-set his personal life and retooled his golf game again and again. He hasn’t competed since the Farmers Insurance Open in early February, retreating to work on his game. It’s no surprise that he has taken such a tumble in the rankings; he has earned only 9.73 ranking points over the last 15 months and if he doesn’t play, he can’t put up points.
He has given no update about the Masters, the first major of 2015, other than to say that he’ll return to golf when his game is in shape. “I’ve put in a lot of time and work on my game and I’m making strides, but like I’ve said, I won’t return to the PGA TOUR until my game is tournament ready and I can compete at the highest level,” he wrote on his website March 13. “I hope to be ready for the Masters, and I will continue to work hard preparing for Augusta.”
His good friend, Notah Begay, said last week that things were looking up. “As far as Augusta, it’s literally a 50-50 chance from what I can tell,” Begay told 120 Sports. “I think that’s far better odds than what it was three weeks ago.”
Woods may be uncertain, but Nike is ready.

Post a Comment

0 Comments