Pope gets special pizza delivery



He may be a proud Argentinian. But that's not to say the man born Jorge Mario Bergoglio - better known today as Pope Francis - doesn't have some distinctly Italian tastes.
When asked in a recent interview what he missed the most since taking on the top job in the Catholic Church, the pontiff's reply took some by surprise: "The only thing I would like is to go out one day, without being recognized, and go to a pizzeria for a pizza"
Hearing of Francis's visit to the home of pizza - the city of Naples - one enterprising resident decided to make the Holy Father's day.
"While I was making the pizzas for my clients, I heard the pope's car coming and I got ready," Enzo Cacialle said. "While his car was approaching, I jumped over the fence and I gave him the pizza, and with a smile he said, 'Thank you.'"
As it turns out, the pope isn't the only global icon to have savoured the delights of the family business Pizzeria Don Ernesto.
"In 1994 my dad did a little for American president Bill Clinton, and yesterday when I got to know the pope was in town I decided to make a pizza and give it to him as a gift," Cacialle said.
Caicalle is still waiting to hear whether Pope Francis enjoyed his experience, but the pizza chef certainly has a bellyful of pride.
"It's really hard for me to understand what I managed to do, giving a pizza you made with your own hands to the Pope is very emotional," he said. "It's really hard for me to express the value of this gesture for a man we really love and value, for a beautiful person full of humanity."

Post a Comment

0 Comments